SouthPark 18th Century Farmhouse
Award-winning Simonini restoration and expansion sitting on 2.3 private acres, this incredible Farmhouse style estate builds upon the 19th century roots of The William Lee House’ architectural detail, while incorporating exceptional 21st century conveniences. Some of the home’s special features include rich hand-hewn hardwoods, sophisticated period millwork, 8 fireplaces and custom period doors & cabinetry throughout.
The restoration and expansion of the primary home to over 7,000 sf includes a complete makeover of all infrastructure, mechanical, electrical, roofing, etc. down to the studs. Additional 300 sq ft is Pool House which has a full bath and fireplace. A serene setting provides a luxurious, private sanctuary in the heart of SouthPark with a Greenway at the base of the property.
Over 7,400 square feet with 5 bedrooms, 5.5 bathrooms, 8 fireplaces and reclaimed wood floors throughout. The original home hosts the formal living room, parlor and Master bedroom with original c.1792 floors, paneling, ceiling and fireplace surrounds.
Elegantly appointed interior finishes include hand hewn timbers, extensive millwork, handmade 2- inch Birch doors throughout and reclaimed timber floors throughout the renovated building.
10 ft ceilings in the original home and 11 ft ceilings in the new wing on the main level; 9 ft ceilings on the upper level.
Gourmet kitchen with marble counters, custom cabinetry, Viking professional gas range, handcrafted zinc serving counter from France, dual farmhouse sinks and dual dishwashers. There is an adjacent Butler’s pantry/scullery with farmhouse sink, dishwasher and beverage refrigerator.
Formal dining room with fireplace and exposed beam ceiling. A separate breakfast dining room with fireplace is adjacent to the kitchen.
Large Family Room, Guest room with adjacent full bath, her office, laundry room and mud room on the main level; Master office on the mezzanine level.
Upper level contains the Master Suite with large walk-in closets and bathroom featuring oversized soaking tub, separate steam shower and imported dual sinks, a second family room, Tea bar with refrigerator and dishwasher, and bedrooms with en-suite baths.
Third floor finished bonus room. Walk-out basement with fireplace.
Two-story plantation style rocking chair porch and rear covered carriage porch.
The front door 4 pane transom light is original c.1792 and the basis for transom lights throughout the home
Custom made 3-inch Dutch doors on side and rear porches.
Roofs of copper and cedar shake with copper gutter systems.
Expansive side yard rocking chair porch overlooking manicured grounds.
Classic Esther Williams heated pool with stone patio and 300 square foot pool house featuring a covered porch, sitting area with fireplace and full bathroom.
Historic easement for original Camden to Charlotte carriage road.
History of the William Lee House
The “Wm. Lee House” was designated a Charlotte Historic Landmark in 1982. For many years the home was thought to have been built circa 1828 by Wm. Lee Junior. However, a study of the deed history done in conjunction with the 2007 renovation has shown the property was originally part of a “Kings Land Grant” to Mr. Robert McCappen (aka “McAlpine”) in 1742. The property subsequently changed hands and in 1788 was sold to Mr. William Lee Junior (the 1st “Mr. Lee Junior”). The record shows the current structure was built approximately 1792 by Mr. Lee, who lived in the residence and subsequently died there in February 1828. His Son, William Lee Junior (the 2nd “Mr. Lee Junior”), moved into the home with his family in November 1828. From that time the home was occupied by direct descendants of the Lees until 1953 when it was sold to an unrelated family.
The home has undergone several renovations throughout its history. Previous renovations are believed to have taken place in circa 1850, 1920; 1950: which included the addition of the pool and pool house; 1976 with West wing addition; and finally, the total renovation and North wing addition in 2007.
The current owners, working closely with the Charlotte Landmarks Commission, the National Historic Registry staff, Preservation North Carolina staff and under the Secretary of the Interior Guidelines for Historic Places undertook a complete renovation of the property in 2004. The intent of the renovation was to completely restore the original home to its true 1792 character, including restoration of 4 fireplaces and removal of all previous electrical, plumbing and heating systems. And to provide modern conveniences and amenities in the new North wing that flows completely with the original home yet sets the stage for the property’s use for the next 100 years. Accordingly, the major renovation was completed in May 2007 and the new portion of the home contains the contains kitchen, pantry, bathrooms, bedrooms, laundry room, mud rooms, family rooms and family office spaces – all in keeping with the historic nature, style and architecture of the original property.
The completed project has been nominated for several historical preservation and renovation awards including the National Homebuilders’ Renovation of the Year Award. Of note, the property still contains a clearly discernible stretch of the original “Camden Road”, the historic main thoroughfare from Charlotte, NC to Camden/Charleston, SC.
Dating to King George II, this richly appointed country house is one of Charlotte’s most exceptional historic properties. Charlotte Historic Landmark receives 50% tax credit.
Come and view this spectacular offering.